Understanding Different Visa Types 

Contact Us

    In a world that is increasingly interconnected, the desire to move to the United States for various reasons such as employment opportunities, family reunification, or pursuit of higher education has led to a surge in immigration applications. The United States offers a diverse range of immigration visas to accommodate the unique needs and aspirations of individuals and families from all over the world. In this blog, we will explore the different types of immigration visas available, each tailored to specific eligibility criteria and purposes.  

    Different Visa Types 

    Family-based immigration visas are designed to reunite families who have been separated by international borders. These visas are divided into two main categories: 

    • Immediate Relative Visas: Immediate relatives of U.S. citizens, including spouses, children, and parents, are eligible for immediate relative visas. There is no annual cap on the number of these visas issued, making the process quicker compared to other categories. 
    • Family Preference Visas: These visas are available for more distant family members of U.S. citizens, such as siblings, as well as certain family members of lawful permanent residents (green card holders). There is an annual numerical limit for these visas, resulting in longer waiting times. 

    Employment-based visas are designed for individuals who wish to live and work in the United States. They are categorized into five preference categories: 

    • EB-1: Priority Workers – Reserved for individuals with extraordinary abilities, outstanding professors and researchers, and multinational executives or managers. 
    • EB-2: Professionals with Advanced Degrees or Exceptional Ability – This category includes individuals with advanced degrees or those with exceptional abilities in their respective fields. 
    • EB-3: Skilled Workers, Professionals, and Other Workers – For individuals with varying levels of skills and education, including skilled workers, professionals, and unskilled workers. 
    • EB-4: Special Immigrants – This category encompasses religious workers, certain international broadcasters, and other special immigrant groups. 
    • EB-5: Immigrant Investors – Designed for investors willing to invest a substantial amount of capital into a new commercial enterprise that creates jobs for U.S. workers. 

    Other/Special Visa Types 

    The Diversity Visa (DV) Lottery, also known as the Green Card Lottery, is a unique program that provides an opportunity for nationals from countries with historically low rates of immigration to the United States to obtain a green card. Each year, a limited number of DVs are available through a random selection process. Apart from family, employment, and diversity visas, there are several special visas available for specific purposes: 

    • U Visas: Victims of certain crimes who have suffered mental or physical abuse and are willing to assist law enforcement may be eligible for U visas. 
    • T Visas: Trafficking victims who have been subjected to severe forms of trafficking in persons, such as sex trafficking or labor trafficking, can apply for T visas. 
    • Fiancé(e) Visas: Intended for foreign nationals engaged to U.S. citizens and planning to marry within 90 days of entry. 
    • Student Visas: Individuals wishing to study in the United States can apply for F (academic students) or M (vocational students) visas. 

    Frequently Asked Questions: 

    Immigrant visas are intended for those seeking permanent residency in the United States, ultimately leading to a green card and potential citizenship. These visas are typically granted to individuals with close family ties to U.S. citizens or permanent residents, or those with specific employment-based qualifications. Non-immigrant visas, on the other hand, are temporary visas that allow individuals to live and work in the U.S. for a specific period. These visas are often granted for purposes such as tourism, education, employment, or business, and do not lead to permanent residency.

    Qualifying for an employment-based visa depends on your skills, qualifications, and the specific category you fall under. The EB-1 category is for individuals with extraordinary abilities, outstanding professors and researchers, or multinational executives and managers. EB-2 is for professionals with advanced degrees or exceptional abilities, while EB-3 covers skilled workers, professionals, and unskilled workers. To apply, you’ll typically need a job offer from a U.S. employer who is willing to sponsor you. Meeting the specific eligibility requirements for your chosen category is crucial, and legal guidance can be invaluable in this process.

    The processing time for family-based visas can vary widely depending on several factors, including the type of visa you’re applying for and the relationship between the petitioner (U.S. citizen or permanent resident) and the beneficiary (the intending immigrant). Immediate relative visas, such as those for spouses and children of U.S. citizens, generally have shorter processing times and no annual caps, making them faster to obtain. Family preference visas, for more distant relatives, often have longer waiting periods due to annual numerical limits and country-specific backlogs. On average, it can take anywhere from several months to several years to secure a family-based visa.

    In some cases, it is possible to change from a non-immigrant visa to an immigrant visa, but the process can be complex. It typically involves meeting the eligibility requirements for an immigrant visa category, such as employment-based or family-based, and having a qualifying petitioner, such as a U.S. employer or a close family member, sponsor your transition. Additionally, you may need to file certain forms and go through consular processing if you’re outside the U.S. Seek legal advice to understand your specific situation and navigate the process effectively, as the ability to change visa status can depend on various factors, including your current visa status and circumstances.

    How to Get Started on Your Immigration Matters 

    If you are ready to file legal documents for immigration matters in California or Nevada, our legal document assistants or legal document preparers are ready to help. Here is how you can get started today: 

    1. Fill out our contact form 
    2. Make an appointment 
    3. Meet with one of our LDAs or LDPs 
    4. Discuss the filling process 
    5. Discuss the next steps 

    If you have any questions about immigration services, today or call (909) 497-1349 to schedule your next appointment with our team of professional LDAs or LDPs!  

    Image 4 | Prose Legal